Monday, June 3, 2024

Music Monday - Zero She Flies

 I was having a wander down memory lane & listening to Al Stewart's "To Whom it May Concern", a compilation of his first three albums.  This record takes me back to my first job, before I had anywhere to live, so for two weeks I was sleeping on Pete's sofa.  He had a selection of Al Stewart's early songs on tape and quickly got tired of me asking to listen to it.  Also of me wanting weaker coffee in the mornings, so there was a slight race to be the one to set the machine going.  But I digress.  Pete was a really good friend and it's a shame that we didn't see much of each other after we took jobs in different cities.

As this wave of nostalgia was coming to an end, I discovered that the last track on my double CD boxset wouldn't play properly.  On closer inspection, the disc has some sort of milky appearance toward the rim.  CDs play from the centre to the rim, the opposite way round from vinyl LPs, so this is the trouble with the final track.

click to enlarge, trouble at 4 o'clock

The problem wouldn't wash off, so I turned to the Internet for clues.  It turns out that disc rot [click] is a well-known problem essentially caused by inadequate manufacture.  So I felt no guilt in finding a copy of the unplayable track in some dodgy corner of the Web and saving it as a replacement.


Until next time, health & happiness to you all.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Third quarter reading

Another quarter ends, and I've not forgotten how to read, but haven't maintained much of a pace. Richard Coles - A Death in the Pari...